The Sacramento region has so many museums people who live here can be excused if they aren’t aware some of them exist. Several area businesses are helping people become acquainted with their museums with Free Museum Day on Saturday, Feb. 2.
Participating museums will open at 10 a.m. and close at 5 p.m., but the last entrance is 4 p.m.
Sutter Health, Visit Sacramento, OutWord, California Family Fitness, ESPN Radio 1320, Eagle 96.9, 106.5 The End, Sacramento 365, Fox 40 KTXL, Sacramento Regional Transit, and Studio 40 are sponsoring the event.
For specific information on special activities, transportation to the museums, and related restaurant deals, go to the Sacramento Area Museums website.
The following museums plan to open their doors without charge:
- Aerospace Museum of California, McClellan
- California Automobile Museum, Sacramento
- California Museum, Sacramento
- California State Capitol Museum, Sacramento
- California State Library, Sacramento
- California State Railroad Museum, Old Sacramento
- Don and June Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum, Sacramento
- Folsom History Museum, Folsom
- Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, Sacramento
- Locke Boarding House Museum, Locke
- Maidu Museum and Historic Site, Roseville
- SSVMS Museum of Medical History, Sacramento
- Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum, Old Sacramento
- Powerhouse Science Center, Sacramento
- Roseville Utility Exploration Center, Roseville
- Sacramento Children’s Museum, Rancho Cordova
- Sacramento Historic City Cemetery, Sacramento
- Sacramento History Museum, Old Sacramento
- Sojourner Truth African American Museum, South Sacramento
- State Indian Museum, Sacramento
- Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park, Sacramento
- Verge Center for the Arts, Sacramento
- Wells Fargo History Museum (Capitol Mall), Sacramento
- Wells Fargo History Museum (Old Sacramento), Old Sacramento